First play the Kahoot
Second - Answer the questions
Third - Read and discuss the short Answers.
For a Word Document copy of the following Click here.
Studies of Religion
Significant person and school of thought
Syllabus - analyse the impact of this person OR school of thought on Christianity. .
the effect of that person OR school of thought on Christianity
Study Question 1
Describe the impact of Saint Francis – 5 marks
Saint Francis has impacted Christianity through a greater sense of Love, Poverty and Peace. Saint Francis was inspired by the love shown by Christ. Jesus called his disciples to love your enemies (Matthew 5:44). When Francis embraced and kissed the leper his conversion inspired many people who would follow his example. By the time of Francis death, more than 2500 people had joined the Order of Friar Minor. Many of who whom would care for the poor by running hospice for the sick and dying. Saint Damian church became a refuge for the poor, the sick and lepers. Where all were welcome. Saint Francis took this love of enemy to the Islamic Sultan Al Kamil. Al Kamil recognised the peaceful message which Francis brought and within a century until this day many of the Christian sites in the holy land are under the protection of Franciscans.
Study Question 2
Explain the impact of Saint Francis – 7 marks
Saint Francis has impacted Christianity through a greater sense of Love, Poverty and Peace. Saint Francis was inspired by the love shown by Jesus Christ. Jesus called his disciples to love your enemies (Matthew 5:44). Like Saint Paul who had a deep conversion through an encounter with Christ (Acts 9), Saint Francis too had a conversion after his imprisonment. He began to live as a beggar walking the streets of Assisi. Many of the residence rejected him and threw stones at Francis. Francis had heard a call to “Rebuild my church”. Francis and his followers would take these stones which would help rebuild Saint Damian’s church. Francis in 1209 travelled to Rome to gain approval for his new order. It was a miracle to receive a ordinance with the pope of that time, as Pope Innocent III was both a spiritual head and a political leader of Europe. Pope Innocent III was inspired by the example of Saint Francis and gave approval for the order of Friars Minor when many similar groups, like the Waldensians of time were rejected by the church.
In 2013 when Pope Francis was elected Pope. He took the name “Francis” and prayed “I pray that the church might be poorer”. Later, Pope Francis’ document “Exult and be glad” in 2018 called all Christians to radically embrace Christ’s Beatitudes by becoming instruments of peace through this example. The 1900 prayer “Prayer of Saint Francis” praying “Lord make me instrument of your peace” following Jesus messenger of peace. During World War 2, Franciscan Maximum Kolbe would sacrifice his life as a Franciscan. By the time of Francis own death, more than 2500 people had joined the Order of Friar Minor. Many of who were inspired by the love shown by Francis and too care for the poor by running hospice for the sick and dying. Saint Damian’s church became a refuge for the poor, the sick and lepers. Where all were welcome.
Saint Francis took this love to the Christian enemy of the time of the crusades to the Islamic Sultan Al Kamil. Al Kamil recognised the peaceful message which Francis brought and within a century until this day many of the Christian sites in the holy land are under the protection of Franciscans. Saint Francis and the Franciscans always had at heart the love of the Incarnation of Jesus, and that is why they have loved the Holy Land since the beginning. They are the manifestation, the footprints of the passage of God in this world and the echo of the words of the Lord who spoke to us through prophets and apostles and became “flesh”, a man like us, living in our midst. They are stones which heard the words and drank the blood of Jesus Christ the Saviour. The Son of God.
Ask ONE friend to help you STUDY
1. Saint Francis was Inspired by…..?
2. Jesus called his disciples to love your enemies. What is this reference?
3. What did Francis embracing the leper inspire?
4. When people threw rocks at Francis, what was the effect?
5. What type of order was the Order of Friars Minor?
6. Why did Pope Innocent listen to Francis?
7. Which Christian group was founded at the time of Francis and rejected by the church?
8. Which prayer was inspired by Saint Francis but not written by him?
9. What document was written by Pope Francis in 2018 which speaks of living Christ's Beatitudes?
10. Who sacrificed himself to save a Jewish father from Nazi execution?
11. How many people have joined the order of Friars minor by 1226?
12. Who did Francis visit in Egypt?
13. How long did Francis spend with the Sultan?
14. What did the Sultan Give Francis?
15. Which order was given responsibility for caring the Christian Holy Sites in the Holy Land from 1300s until today?
16. What was Francis inspired by?
17. What document did Pope Francis write in 2015 which focused on the environment?
18. What was document written by Pope Francis “Laudatio Si” inspired by?
19. Saint Francis is the Patron Saint of Ecology. When is this celebrated?